Just walk into it.

DU Window
    I've been in Delhi now for three days.  The first day I met the USIEF coordinators and attended an orientation session that was planned for the fifteen Fulbright-Nehru Master's Fellows, but was extremely valuable for me as well.  The Nehru fellows are primarily between bachelor's and master's degrees and spending nine months researching an area of interest.  The young man I chatted with most is going to Mumbai to learn about the use of the mangrove forests to combat carbon and climate change.  When I think back to my 23-year old self, I was in no way mature enough to take on such a global issue in a foreign country.  These are the minds that will be the change-makers of tomorrow.  

Dean's Office Waiting
    Day two was spent at Delhi University.  I finally met my faculty advisor, Dr. Latika Gupta.  She showed me around campus and introduced me to other faculty and a few graduate students.  She's an incredible educator with a critical eye for systems and inequities and has a brilliant sense of humor.  Most of our time was spent figuring out paperwork logistics for the Foreigner Regional Registration Office, which has been a full-time job.  We also chatted about my research intentions and given the limited access to government schools, I will likely need to shift focuses.  One sentiment that has been echoed from all alumni who have come to India is be flexible.  I'm quickly understanding why.

Sign at Metro

    On day three I was sent an angel.  Prior to arriving, USIEF arranged for a facilitator to show me around the city.  I was gifted Meghna, a local teacher.  We immediately hit it off by commiserating over the heat and our affinity for afternoon naps.  We started by using the metro (subway station) to go to a market for clothes shopping.  I learned on the first day that the Delhi metro was designed and built by Japan as a way to keep India from aligning with China.  The system is definitely Japanese efficient.  It is air conditioned and self-explanatory.  There is also a car on each train for women only.  As I stood there imagining a crowded subway car, I wished there more spaces specifically designed for the safety of women.  I wonder how many of us would prefer those spaces when given the option.  

    Our next stop was a clothing store so I could buy Indian dresses or kurtas for visiting schools.  As a plus-sized woman, I was really nervous about finding clothing that fit me and was prepared to have something made.  She knew right where to go and I found my first two, of probably many more.  She also showed me the best coffee shops around the next place I will be living and how to order an auto or motorized rickshaw on Uber.  While walking around, I told her how the previous day I had to cross a busy street twice and after stepping out and back about five times, I just walked into it praying that the cars, trucks, bikes and autos would stop.  She laughed and affirmed, "That's how you do Delhi - just walk into it." 








 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Prayer Flags to Barbed Wire: a Week in Dharamsala

Fulbright-ening the Way!

Are you ready? You've had a year.