Why India? Great Question!


 

















12 August 2022

Although I enjoy traveling and exploring new areas, India was never high on my list.  It just seemed too big, too bustling and too much to take on.  So in many ways I didn't choose India, but India chose me.

For several years I have aspired to complete a Fulbright teacher exchange program.  The opportunity to travel and learn from other educational professionals seemed like the perfect inspiration.  Each year I waited for the Fulbright Distinguished Award in Teacher Short Term programs to be released and scoured the descriptions for something that fit my credentials and experience.  During winter 2021, while searching for the next application I came across the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Research.  The application was open and suggested researching participating countries' profiles.   I began with Greece, then Colombia, then Vietnam and eventually landed on India.  

A section of India's profile mentioned the National Education Policy 2020 which was the first national education reform policy in 34 years.  I read the first line, "Education is fundamental for achieving full human potential, developing an equitable and just society, and promoting national development."  I was hooked.  I dove into the 66 page document with curiosity and came out with hope.  After fourteen years of teaching, I've realized the importance of policy and how it can be used by administration as either an impetus for change or a barrier to progress.  

As I read through each section I thought about the students in my own classrooms that these changes would serve.  I thought about all the disparities in educational access that glaringly showed during the COVID shutdown.  I thought about those whom had been so close to graduation, but just didn't make it.  I thought about the rural schools without running water or Internet service.  I thought about indigenous students and the differences between their communities and the colonized curricula.  I thought about students from immigrant families who were constantly balancing school with so many other responsibilities for survival.  I thought about the role that education plays, and my role within that system, to either combat injustice or preserve it.  

So I wrote all of my thoughts down and realized that I want to see how this policy looks in schools, in classrooms and communities.  How are rural schools with similar infrastructure to many of our rural communities teaching thousands (not hundreds) of students?  What programs successfully support students in reaching graduation when their families may rely on them to work?  How are girls empowered to break social away from social expectations and become independently successful?  What has the Indian educational system figured out that we haven't?

After a few months of late nights and friends graciously reading and editing my project proposal, I submitted my application.  During that waiting period, my teaching environment became extremely toxic and like many public educators, I almost left the classroom.  The only reason I returned to my position was because I had put my heart into this project and wanted to see it through.  After submission in February 2021 I heard nothing.  I waited, hoped, waited, hoped and waited some more.  Then at the end of July while visiting my home town, Cincinnati, I got an email.  India chose me!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Prayer Flags to Barbed Wire: a Week in Dharamsala

Fulbright-ening the Way!

Are you ready? You've had a year.