Convenience Currency

 "Convenience currency" is my non-scholarly term for being able to buy almost any service - food delivery, grocery delivery, home cook, cleaner, laundry service (not just dry cleaning), driver, etc.  While the American in me says this is lazy and pretentious, it is commonplace for middle class Delhiites to have at minimum a house cleaner and cook.  There's an element of mutualism to the arrangement - that you are providing employment to someone who needs it and your time is freed up for health, family or career.  The guesthouse where I'm staying employs two young men - a cook and cleaner, so I guess in some capacity I do as well.  

Rolls & fries from Kolkata Kathi Roll
 However, for three weeks I avoided using the delivery services for  fear of my credit card not working, lack of Hindi not explaining  something correctly and being seen as lazy (not really sure by  whom). On more than one occasion I had people tell me to solely rely on food and grocery deliveries instead of venturing to the grocery stores and markets.  That I could actually save money this way because the app doesn't know that I'm a foreigner and the delivery fee is less than the up-charge for not being local.  So this week I gave in and used Zomato for the first time.  This is the Indian equivalent to Door Dash.   I've wanted to try kathi rolls since arriving, so I ordered two rolls - chicken tikka & double egg roll and an order of fries.  I also got a Sprite and it came with a free mojito (the non-boozy kind).  The whole thing was so easy and efficient.  I watched the delivery driver make his way from the restaurant to my door with minute-by-minute updates.  Since I live at the top of seven flights of stairs, I felt really accomplished meeting him at the bottom entrance to the building.  

 

I realize that Door Dash and Uber Eats became a lifeline during COVID, however living in Denali these services weren't an option - actually for nine months of the year there's really only two to four restaurants and one grocery store operational at any given time.  So having pizza or anything else delivered was reserved for visits to the cities or the lower 48.  Although I have spent several thousands on Amazon purchases to avoid the two-hour drive to Fairbanks.  

Knowing that these options exist reminds me of an NPR interview I heard pre-pandemic about the possibility of money buying happiness.  The research proved that when people spent their money on time-saving services instead of material items, they felt more positive feelings about their lives than when they bought things.  I think of so many parents I know who struggle to balance all the responsibilities and wonder if trading in the new iPhone purchase for a house cleaner would be beneficial, or does the stigma of paying someone to do what you are capable prevent that.  My Hindi teacher told me about some German folks who came to India to work for one year.  Five years later they were forced to return to Germany for visa reasons, but didn't want to give up the lifestyle they could afford here.  

Personally I know that having everything I need at the touch of a button is a slippery slope - especially when I'm trying to navigate a new normal in a complex environment.  I also acknowledge that "take-away" packaging is excessive and doesn't help the whole polluted city situation.  So I've decided to limit my deliveries to items that are outside of the South Delhi range and only when I'm hyper-focused on my project.  Otherwise, how else will I have an opportunity to practice my bad Hindi and purchase sticky foam when I meant to buy masking tape?  It would be too easy.  

___________

For anyone traveling to Delhi the common apps are: Zomato (restaurant delivery), Swiggy (groceries), Blinkit (fruits & veg), Uber & Ola (transportation/rides).  There are several laundry and dry-cleaning services but usually require a minimum amount.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Prayer Flags to Barbed Wire: a Week in Dharamsala

Fulbright-ening the Way!

Are you ready? You've had a year.